How do I lose weight?
The simple answer is you need to burn more energy than you consume each day. Of course this is a simple view on a large and complex issue for many.
To lose weight you need to look at all aspects of your lifestyle:
· consume a varied diet with emphasis on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low fat and non-fat dairy products, fish, legumes, poultry, and lean meats.
· monitor portion size and number
· limit foods high in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol
· taking the stairs instead of the lift
· cycle or walk to work
· household activities
· gym program
· walking, cycling or swimming
Adopting healthy eating habits and effective exercise behaviours will increase your ability to lose weight while also decreasing your risk of diabetes, stroke and heart issues.
The Exercise Physiologists at MTM Rehabilitation Gym can help you develop a specific weight loss program for you that takes into account any injuries or limitations you may have that get in the way of increasing your activity levels. Working with an Exercise Physiologist who knows your goals will help you develop and maintain motivation throughout the weight loss process. Joining with a friend or family member may also help you become more motivated and committed to your new routine.
Exercise Physiology by William D. McArdle, Frank I. Katch and Victor L. Katch